- You need to have a personal Facebook profile before you can set up a page for your business - visit www.facebook.com to register for your account.
- Go to www.facebook.com/pages/create and select one of six categories for your businses - you can change this later if you like.
- Keep your Facebook Business Page name consistent with your actual business and any other social media profiles you may have already established.
Add business details
Once you have selected your category, you will be asked for the following:
- Category information
- A sentence or two about your page - you get 155 characters to describe your page - be as descriptive and helpful as possible.
- URL – the website address for your business.
- Facebook URL – select a custom Facebook URL for your page. Be sure to do this so it aligns with your brand, eg. www.facebook.com/DigitalReadyTasmania (sometimes your new page will need a few ‘likes’ before this option becomes available).
- Profile picture – this photo will appear each time you comment, post or publish in a newsfeed - use your logo. The profile is set for square dimensions – 180 pixels wide x 180 pixels tall.
At this stage your page is automatically published and discoverable on Facebook. If you want to keep it private until it’s completed, go to your Page and change the Page Visibility option to unpublished.
Create a cover image
This appears at the top of your page – select an image that delivers a striking visual element supporting
- Dimensions for the cover image are 851 pixels wide x 315 pixels high.
- This is a prominent image on your profile – it needs to look professional. Check out canva.com for free design templates for your Facebook cover image.
- Upload your cover image to your page by clicking ‘+Add a Cover’.
Fill out your profile completely
This is a vital step to make use of all the opportunities Facebook provides to tell the story about your business and brand. Depending on the category you chose for your page, you will have specific information to fill out. Under ‘Settings’ select ‘Page Info’ - for a Local Business or Place you have the following fields to fill in:
- Start Info – you can choose when your business was founded.
- Address – if you have a physical business, be sure to enter this! This information is also necessary if you want people to be able to check in via Facebook when they’re near your place.
- Add in hours of operation.
- Short Description – you can edit the initial description you provided about your page, or keep as is.
- Impressum – you can add in a statement of ownership of your web presence on Facebook (an optional field).
- Long Description – use this space to tell the story about your brand, its points of difference, what is special about it, and the features/benefits.
- Add in your phone number / email / website.
Add a call-to-action button
Next to your page’s Like button is a call-to-action button. You can customise this button with Book Now, Contact Us, Use App, Play Game, Shop Now, Sign Up or Watch Video. Each of these actions can be linked to a specific URL where the action can be completed.
Post your first updates
Add content to your page by publishing a post – a status update, a link, a photo, a video, an event or a milestone. If you’re not sure what types of updates to post, check out some of your competitors’ pages to see what types of posts they make to get some inspiration. Remember visual content gets better engagement!
Set your Page Visibility to published.
What next? Spread the word about your page!
Invite friends, promote your page on your website and printed collateral, and tell your customers about your Facebook page.
Post consistent valuable content, and remember social media is about being social.