Making sure your website has compelling content that is easy to navigate is one part of your business. The next thing is making sure that your brand and business can be easily found. Follow these tips to help improve the search engine performance of your website.
- Create a unique URL for each page in your website – incorporating your primary keyword or phrase into the URL can be beneficial
- Ensure all of your page title tags are 65 characters or less and include the primary keywords for that page
- Ensure all of your meta description tags are about 160 characters or less and include the page keywords
- Use your H1 tag and only use one per page
- Use Google’s Keyword Planner to help you craft your content
- Ensure all of your images have descriptive ALT tags and filenames and that your images are sized correctly and load quickly
- Link to your internal pages in an SEO-friendly manner – describe the page you’re linking to in the anchor text, so that both users and search engines understand what it’s about.
- Install Google Analytics to measure the performance of your website
- If you are managing your own SEO install Google Search Console
- If you are using WordPress - install Google Analytics by Yoast and Yoast SEO - these plugins help make your life easier
- Ensure your website is mobile-friendly
- Make sure your site isn’t creating any duplicate content – if you’re managing your own SEO, Google Webmaster tools can help you do this
- Check your site speed with Google PageSpeed Tools
- Create an XML sitemap and submit it to Google and Bing Webmaster Tools
- Keep your website up-to-date and relevant
- Make sure your website is mobile optimised, as this is a significant factor in how it ranks with Google.
- Begin by building external links to your website via your social media channels
- Establish listings of your website on other external websites, for example industry and association sites, blogs and online directories
- Create promotion-worthy and shareable content to encourage links back to your site
- Remember – don’t buy links to your website
- Create a Google My Business profile to help improve your presence in Google